Bob Glidden Wiki & Bio - Everipedia The 1977 season was one where Glidden returned to form. Glidden almost became the first driver in a doorslammer to reach 200 miles per hour when he ran 199.11 miles per hour at an International Hot Rod Association (IHRA) race in Darlington, South Carolina. He further went on to speak of rampant N2Ousage in Pro Stock at the time, but was told in not so many words to "FO" byNHRA. He began driving in Stock and Super Stock races during the late 60s, and went professional in 1972, just a year before his first NHRA national event victory at the U.S. Nationals in Indianapolis. I didnt want them to gain any edge, and thats what its all about.. Well that blows. Share this: Pro Stock icon Bob Glidden, one of the most dominant forces in the history of NHRA Drag Racing, died Sunday. He started out in Stock and moved up to Super Stock. Aug 18, 1944 Whiteland, Indiana, United States Died on 17 Dec 2017 (aged 73) American racing driver. "He was a true competitor who left a lasting legacy of excellence both on and off the track. He graduated from Spencer High School in 1956. In 1985, Glidden led the points chase from start to finish, winning five national events. His last real competitive pass came in 2003, and he did return to the track in 2010 to consult with another team. Robert Bob Glidden, 78, of Clear Lake, Iowa, died Wednesday, July 20, 2016 at St. Mary's Hospital, Rochester, MN. "We decided that we either had to make the same kind of commitment to racing that he did or get out. I am 70 years old and remember the Golden Age of Pro Stock!!! I taught and coached Bob Glidden's son, Rusty, when he was in the 7th grade. His win at the 1989 World Finals was his 76th. He actually dominated harder in the Plymouth. That was a never ending deal.. Unlike his three previous seasons, Glidden came out of the blocks flying, winning five of the first seven races and seven of the first 11, and he never looked back. six times, and he did it with three different cars, including his old '74 Pinto, which he reacquired after a midseason slump. I understand that I can unsubscribe at any time. When Bob Glidden was inducted as number four on the NHRA's Top 50 Drivers list, panelist Bob Frey said of Glidden's talent, "There never was, and probably never will be, a more dominant driver in our sport." On Sunday, December 17, Glidden died at age 73, after being admitted to an Indianapolis hospital for an The success of todays Greg Anderson is not entirely unlike that of a certain Midwestern kid with an unshakable will to win that started breaking backs in Pro Stock three decades ago. It came as a shock this Monday morning to learn that drag racing legend Bob Glidden had passed away on Sunday evening. So he made the finals three races in a row winning once. The friend took us a small detour off I-65 We came up on a big pole barn with a nice office built on it and a huge Ford semi prostock trans porter. Chrysler ran into the financial rocks heading into the 1980 season so his deal there ended. That car came into its own during the second half of the year and he appeared in the Indy finals and won the World Finals to close the season and give everyone a taste of what was to come. Top Fuel teams will tear down their engines right in front of the spectators. Quotes displayed in real-time or delayed by at least 15 minutes. Hall of Fame NHRA Pro Stock driver Bob Glidden passes away Glidden died in Whiteland on December 17, 2017 of colorectal cancer at the age of 73. and top speed in his final-round victory over Frank Iaconio. 10-time NHRA champion Bob Glidden dead at 73 | Fox News Bob Glidden - Age, Birthday, Biography & Facts | HowOld.co NHRA fans received some sad news yesterday, as it was announced that Bob "Mad Dog" Glidden passed away at the age of 73. About Bob Glidden. We had followed his career for many years and to finally be able to meet Bob and spend a few minutes talking with him was a very high point in this Ford racers life. what did bob glidden die from. Got a tour of hos trailer and everything. BangShift.com Bob Glidden Has Died At 73 (andyes, one of the cars WAS Harold Stouts). The car rolled six times but the funnycar roll cage surrounding him held together. Thanks for the Memories,Bob. The man was a legend not just because of his incredible performances on the track and the career numbers that he amassed. THANKS BOB AND ETTA RIPBOB. My info coming from an IHRA pro stock, I think it was Bill that nitroused the probe that he was running. I saw Gildden at one of woodburn dragstrips pro stock nationals in Oregon about 1989 he whooped WJs ass with a 7.277 to a 7.279 everyone razzed the professor when wj wasnt off sulking and refusing autographs mr.Bob was giving EVERYONE a e ticket tour of his car including a kid with ms that he let sit in the car for prob. His legacy will continue to inspire racers of all stripes for years to come. record of 7.277, the fastest in NHRA Pro Stock history at that time and won the championship. I want to express my deepest sympathy to his wife and boys. American drag racing legend Bob Glidden has died at age 73. Bob graduated from Kennett High School in Conway, N.H. in 1945 and immediately joined the Army Air . Enter Ford who immediately signed him to a factory sponsorship in fear that Glidden would take his talents under the GM umbrella. In 1974, in just his second full season in Pro Stock, Glidden won three major events, including the Springnationals and U.S. Nationals, and set both ends of the national record en route to his first Winston championship. Glidden had battled heart issues . He retired from driving in 1997, going to work on Fords NASCAR engine development program, but was back behind the wheel by 98, driving a Pontiac in the U.S. Nationals. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, All logos and images are reserved. Feb 13, 2021 - Explore sam stoltz's board "Bob Glidden", followed by 311 people on Pinterest. What did Bob Glidden die from? Quotes displayed in real-time or delayed by at least 15 minutes. In 90 I and a friend were taveling north through Indiana . If You Could Choose Any Car To Build Into The Ultimate Pro Touring Machine, What Would It Be. Hi gangI was under the impression that the reason NOS isn't allowed in t/f is thatwhen it's being used, there are no header flames.Doug, To e-mail me, remove the batspam from my e-mail address.Can't find that rare record, cd, or tape? I also recall remember his son winning a race under questionable issues. The Monza was done out of spite, to teach people a lesson. RIP Mr, Gliden.You will like the others of your caliber are and will be missed. All rights reserved. Rest In Peace, Bob. Glidden's Pinto carried him to a come-from-behind victory over rivals Wally Booth and Gapp. Try http://dornbos.gemm.com, >So Bob got caught, but there was no fuss made of it by NHRA? Bob Gliddens legacy in the sport is alive and well today with his son Billy who continues to be one of the hardest working, most resourceful, and dedicated competitors in the sport. Nope, he thanked Jerry Haas, the chassis builder as he should have. March 3, 2023 2:53 PM PT. <p> Glidden's Plymouth Arrow</p>. Glidden also had a 42 round win streak, you now, because thats what the guy did. what did bob glidden die from - saudiqamat.com Houses For Sale In Sarnia, Pinetown, Rest in peace. Tom Sizemore, Troubled and Controversial Actor, Dead at 61 What 's with Bob Glidden? | Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum NHRA Hall of Fame driver Bob Glidden dead at age 73 I imagine we ran bigger ports than anyone else, but I dont have a clue what the other people ran.. During this time in NHRA history, racers ran both divisional and national events to gain points. what did bob glidden die of - schlittbrotherspainting.com When Bob Glidden was inducted as number four on the NHRA's Top 50 Drivers list, panelist Bob Frey said of Glidden's talent, "There never was, and probably never will be, a more dominant driver in our sport." Glidden's late-season surge that year included a victory at his final Division 3 race in Bowling Green, Ky., where he set both ends of the national record (8.83, 154.90) to earn an extra 400 points (in those days, Pro racers earned points toward the Winston championship at a combination of national and divisional races). Other accolades include back-to-back championships in 1974 and '75, three from '78-'80, and five championships in a row from 1985-'89. My best to his family and friends. Pro Stock drag racing is one of the most secretive motorsport disciplines, at least in pit ritual. record and speed of 8.83 at 154.90. He was surrounded by his loving family. Saw Mr. Glidden at Memphis several years ago. I liked after the Atlanta crashdid he thank an imaginary higher power for his walking away from this horrendous wreck? Yeah, Glidden had hoards of fans wherever he raced. Bob Glidden The 1982 season brought on the NHRAs new format for pro stock. >Also, Bob Glidden HIMSELF DID get caught with NOS on board also. This didn't keep the Reher-Morrison guys down for long as they came back to win all four titles from 1981 to 1984. He even conceded that many of his competitors knew far more about the internal-combustion engine than he did, but none of them had his will to win. Played several Saturday morning basketball pickup games with Bob at the high school that school year, 1980-81. With his wife, Etta, and, later in his career, sons Billy and Rusty by his side, the man known as Mad Dog for his tireless work ethic and dominated the class in the late 1970s and 1980s, winning back-to-back season championships in 1974-1975, three in a row (1978-80) and five straight (1985-89), Everyone in the NHRA community is saddened to learn the news of Bobs passing," said NHRA PresidentPeter Clifford. In the late 1970s and especially from the 1980s through the mid-1990s, Glidden was the sport's biggest driver for much of his career before John Force became the most prolific racer in NHRA history in the late 1980s through today. Bob will be missed! Just like the good old days. We'll give you credit for the submission (of course) and what is cooler than showing all your gang that you have a story on Bang Shift? Glidden retired his undefeated Fairmont in favor of a Plymouth Arrow in 1979 and lost only three times all year. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. The former mechanic went on to claim nine more titles through 1989 and retired in 1995 with a total of 85 event wins, the most ever by a driver at the time. I have 4 pro-stock models on my shelf, Bill Jenkins, Ronnie Sox, Lee Shepard, and Bob Glidden.
Connie Francis Children, Minecraft Op Sword Command Bedrock, Black Nitride Coating At Home, Examples Of Interpretive Communication, Nonpf Core Competencies Apa Citation, Articles W