I also believe that the guard marked "W49's" would have been made during the 1970's but prior to 1977 when the alphabetical date code started. It started my knife addiction. Below are pictures of the guard: To the best of my knowledge the 4th variant would have the larger pins and would be guard marked similar to the 3rd variant. Original Price 4,063,793 We've sent you an email to confirm your subscription.   Vietnam   |   English (US)   |   (VND), remembering account, browser, and regional preferences, remembering privacy and security settings, personalized search, content, and recommendations, helping sellers understand their audience, showing relevant, targeted ads on and off Etsy. All items come from a SMOKE-FREE environment! This type of data sharing may be considered a sale of information under California privacy laws. But once you mod 'em they lose all collector's value. 2,422,280, 4,844,560 Collectible Knives - Vintage and Rare Knives | Blade HQ by zzyzzogeton Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:45 am, Post The ONLY differences between versions #2, #3 and #4 are in stamp location(s). They come all sorts of ways. I think I read somewhere that when Camillus bought the name in 1991, they moved production to the Camillus factory in New York. by zzyzzogeton Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:47 am, Post This Auction is for an Authentic Western Boulder U.S.A W49 "M" Bowie Knife w/Wooden Plaque - Circa 1840.1977 was the first year that Western knives started using the alphabet, starting with the letter "A", to date code their knives. Because it still seems like an amazing knife. Skinning/Hunting/Camping knife, Western States, Boulder Colorado 2 blade pocket knife / Advertising pocket knife c.1911-1950. Thanks zzyzzogeton! If you are not familiar with that wood, it is in the same class as white oak. NOTE: This is NOT AN AUCTION. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Yes! This information will be very helpful in my search. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007. Anyone have experience with them? The straight-edge knife is fitted with a 7-inch blade and. IMHO there are two problems here. Jul 5, 2013. W49, W47, W45 and the W43. $148.00, $185.00 According to Western's 1986 catalog they started producing the W49 in 1964. Originally designed by Col. James Bowie, a Bowie knife describes any large sheath knife. Also has medal with his name and paper documents dated 69-70. hi sactroop the info you sent to me, is just what i was look for and the photos are a great help to me aswell.thanks for your help. 1,812,130, 7,248,225 Western Alamo Bowie Knife 4.8 ( 10 reviews) Your Price: $106.99 Solid stainless steel blade Handsome wooden handle with gold pins Engraved Jim Bowie name plate Includes leather sheath and certificate of authenticity Measures: 11" blade; 17 1/4" overall Product Description From the movie "The Alamo" comes the world renown Jim Bowie knife. Original Price 4,740,933 Create an Account Stay up to date withYour Favorite Knife Makers. There is a version of the Western Bowie that appears in the 1968 catalog. Western W49 Bowie Knife - Etsy TSHA | Bowie Knife - Handbook of Texas I have two other knives my cousin gave me in 1969 when he returned from Vietnam. Thanks GIRLYmann! In addition, their handsome appearance makes them favorites for collectors. That is really the one question I have about the knife. Original Price 4,173,456 Charlie, how to identify a Vietnam Western Bowie Fighting Knife, US MILITARIA FORUM - COLLECTORS PRESERVING HISTORY, http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showtopiid/872513/tp/1/. Try using a different browser or disabling ad blockers. The next 3 versions of the Western Bowie are identical in material and construction. (50% off), Sale Price 1,912,315 Original Price 2,958,284 SKIP. Some of the technologies we use are necessary for critical functions like security and site integrity, account authentication, security and privacy preferences, internal site usage and maintenance data, and to make the site work correctly for browsing and transactions. IMHO its hard to link gear made after 1972 to being In Country without being attached to some strong provenance. Send me exclusive offers, unique gift ideas, and personalized tips for shopping and selling on Etsy. Free shipping on orders $99+. http://img443.No_outside_hosting.us/i/cbf7pjgcwkkgrhqyoknmez4.jpg/. I have always thought that the Western Bowie with the bigger handle bolts, thick handle, W49 guard marks and ringed sheath was post Vietnam but then came across this on ebay. I'd sure like to find one and would pay good money to acquire it. It is blade marked: WESTERN / USA / W49 with the letter "A" which signifies the first year that Western implemented the alphabetical date code . Thanks for stepping in, Sac. I can hope. Antique Bowie Knives for sale - Old Pocket Knives Check out our awesome collection now. 1978 was "B" and so on. Consignment Program Packing Your Knives. The knife on the left is the 2nd variant of the W49 and is blade marked: WESTERN / BOWIE / USA. by zzyzzogeton Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:40 pm, Post You are using an out of date browser. Bowie Knives - Knife Depot Captcha failed to load. It can also be identified by the smaller pins in the handle. If you come across a chrome plated Western Bowie it was probably plated for jungle use. Description. It was also the last year that Western manufactured their knives in Boulder, Colorado. Bowie Knives: The Old West's Most Famous Blade - OldWest Original Price 3,029,557 Gil Hibben 65TH Anniversary Old West Bowie Knife And Sheath - Stainless Steel Blade, Wooden Handle, Gold-Plated Guard $109.99 You could buy it for its charming looks alone, but it performs nearly as well. 1,912,315, 2,249,754 c.1977 Western Bowie W49 | Bowie, Bowie knife, Knives and swords Try contacting them via Messages to find out! Vintage Western U.S.A W49 Bowie Knife Pre-Owned C $337.45 Top Rated Seller or Best Offer from United States Sponsored Extremely rare, Western Cutlery, model W49 Bowie fighting knife C $607.40 or Best Offer from United States Sponsored Vintage Large Western Bowie Knife W49 F Pre-Owned C $337.44 Buy It Now +C $27.52 shipping estimate (10% off), Sale Price $148.00 Western Bowie Knife - Etsy Western W49 Bowie Knife - Vintage Bowie From Boulder Colorado You've already signed up for some newsletters, but you haven't confirmed your address. Covert Knife. The W49 is the 9 1/2" "V44" type with the immense S-curve guard and laminated rosewood slab handles. I would stay away from those not marked "BOWIE" on the blade or cross guard. If this is the knife I am thinking of (stacked leather handle with a traditional clip style blade) a friend had one when I was younger and as I recall the knife was darn near impossible to get an edge on. Original Price 1,243,264 (39% off), Sale Price 3,722,167 I took it, the aforementioned W49 and a Case Alamo Bowie out in the yard and started chopping on a old log of locust wood I'd had laying around for a couple of years. . by zzyzzogeton Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:42 am, Post 1,896,552, 3,448,276 Back in the early, and late 70's, all the guys I approached for any type of knife, especially SOG knives, said they left them in Vietnam. Although it is not as pleasing to the eye as the wooden handled Western, it does have many of the same features as the V-44 pattern of old. (45% off), Sale Price $21.96 You can see where some of the plating is peeling with age and use. Original Price 2,460,591 This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register. Set where you live, what language you speak, and the currency you use. He designed it as a hunting knife and gave it to James for protection after his brother had been shot in a fight. I have a Western Bowie knife that my father gave me years ago. I guess the extra weight of the brass piece on the spine of the blade helps. (70% off), Sale Price 2,500,000 The knife in the middle with the larger pins and modified guard is an example of the 5th variant, c.1977. 1,097,291, 1,995,074 When I see a Vietnam used knife for sale that is in mint condition I usually pass. I'm curious to know what year Western first manufactured the W49? The cv recon/tm seem about twice as thick. Western didn't seem to keep real accurate records. I have a western W49 u.s.a. bowie knife and wanted to know its value Original Price 4,437,574 Some made in Australia had cast aluminum handles. Camillus closed it doors for the last time in April of 2007. You never want to tell a Ranger he can't make a knife. (20% off), Sale Price $36.50 The way you set up your knife photos is inspiring. NOTHING MADE IN CHINA!!! You've already signed up for some newsletters, but you haven't confirmed your address. This massive knife was used in early Vietnam era it measures 15" from tip to hilt. They made several matching that description, but the most common I see are the 8" G46-8 or L46-8. Very few guys that I can recall actually had theirs. The one in the picture with the chrome plated blade came from a vet and I have the documentation and a photo of him wearing the knife in Vietnam. It was also the last year they were made in Boulder, CO. Western started putting the year letter on their knives in 1977 with an "A". Measures 15-1/4" overall with a 10" blade. Many of the examples of Vietnam War vintage Bowies do not appear to have traveled any further west than the California shoreline . Can't see it in picture but blade in engraved with soldiers name and 69 - 70 Vietnam. (30% off), Sale Price 3,338,731 Turning off the personalized advertising setting wont stop you from seeing Etsy ads or impact Etsy's own personalization technologies, but it may make the ads you see less relevant or more repetitive. Ive got WW2 and earlier knives that left the factory chrome plated and most of them look as new or close to it. The W49s did leave the factory with a high polish on them. See all reviews . Original Price 1,898,817 Bowie Knife | Lore (Minimal Wear) - Steam Community Market Engraved on brass guard CON EVANS and on the other side of guard CHICO. A top-end bowie knife that's been around since World War II, the Ka-Bar U.S. Marine Corps Bowie Knife is durable and versatile. The bowie knife is a legend of the American frontier. SHINY CRAFTS | Large Bowie Knife With Sheath 18 Inch Mirror Polished D2 Stainless Steel Crocodile Dundee Knife - Razor Sharp Custom Bowie Knife For Men, Outdoor, Hunting Knife . How easy or difficult is it to come across a Western Bowie that actually looks like it may have seen use during the Vietnam War. Good news! WESTERN BOULDER / COLO. USA on one side and BOWIE on the other. Click Buy it now or Add to cart and proceed to checkout. 2,684,911, 4,881,657 Blade edge is still quite sharp, and blade has been old period cleaned and is . remembering account, browser, and regional preferences, remembering privacy and security settings, personalized search, content, and recommendations, helping sellers understand their audience, showing relevant, targeted ads on and off Etsy. Copyright 2004-2023 allaboutpocketknives.com. It is a V-44 pattern made for the US military by multiple manufacturers. Nothing to do with the Western Bowies, but included for posterity since people keep calling the Bushman a "V44"- These knives (the #18 and clones) are incorrectly called the V44 Marine Raider Bowie knife. Take full advantage of our site features by enabling JavaScript. western w49 bowie knife for sale | eBay Our global marketplace is a vibrant community of real people connecting over special goods. 32.9 un fullered blade has a simple IXL stamp to ricasso and 'CP' mark to surface. If your really lucky you might come across a presentation piece but that is still not a guarentee that it was in Vietnam. Its generally excepted that the first two variations on this knife where blade marked (see pics below). L Lenka Kuerkov Cool Knives La Forge Lame Film Props Knife Handles Y Yves Tactical Swords Blacksmithing Knives Bowie Knives Shipping Discounts Available for Multiple Items Purchased from Sanders Knives: If this item is purchased with another item from Sanders Knives that has a shipping cost of $8.50 or more, standard shipping to US addresses for this item will be discounted to $1.00. Original Price $28.00 Jim Bowie, in his brief lifetime, was as famous as any American then drawing breath. Western Outlaw Bowie Knife by Timber Rattler It is 17 inches long and is almost 0.5 inches wide. As you can see it also has the small pins in the handle. The second problem is defining the Vietnam time period for these knives and other equipment. by zzyzzogeton Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:46 am, Post One is the lack of surviving documents from the Western Cutlery Co. . Charlie, Teslleta: Here it is. They all had really good documentation. Please. I just scored a copy of Harvey Platts' "The Knife Makers Who Went West" from 1978. I cut the hilt down took some belly off the blade, had a sheath made and for a total investment of $40.00 got a knife that has served me well. Camillus produced the W49 until 2006. It holds a razor sharp edge and for a knife with a 9 inch blade does a wonderful job. how to identify a Vietnam Western Bowie Fighting Knife Early productions blades were made of carbon steel, later productions are constructed of a high polished stainless. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Knife_Company. I cleaned them up and blued one of them for a more uniform patina. It took me about thirty minutes to get halfway through the log. JavaScript is disabled. If you don't have an account, create one here. I didn't really like it so I gave it to my brother. But you know that. Nearly a foot and a half long. Western Knives of Boulder Colorado made four models of the Bowie knife. Etsy uses cookies and similar technologies to give you a better experience, enabling things like: Detailed information can be found in Etsys Cookies & Similar Technologies Policy and our Privacy Policy. Western USA W49 Wood Bowie Fixed Blade Knife & Sheath c.1984 - Wood Handles - No Cracks - Brass Guard - Very Nice Unused Condition in the Original Leather Sheath - Approx. I guess I have been lucky over the past 35 years of collecting. When Coleman bought Western in 1984, they continued the practice, up through M. When Camillus bought Western from Coleman in 1991, they dropped the practice. (30% off), Sale Price 1,183,432 Western made at least two different stock numbered bowies during the Vietnam time period. Turning off personalized advertising opts you out of these sales. Learn more in our Privacy Policy., Help Center, and Cookies & Similar Technologies Policy. No the one I have is chrome plated. Hey zzyzzogeton thanks for all the info its so hard to find good info on early Bowies but I think I have a correction for you, on Western Bowie #5 Version 1 stainless steel Bowie - It should be blade marked not guard marked WESTERN BOWIE on top of STAINLESS STEEL on top of U.S.A. markings on only one side. JavaScript is disabled. This knife has a stock number of S-649. Handle has the brass pins and rosewood handle. The knife on the right in my picture above is an example of the 3rd variant. Check out our awesome collection now. 3.3 3.3 . As I've mentioned I've been offered a nice roi for my blade, but I'm not sure I would take a truck in exchange. Timber Rattler Knives - Direct Knife Sales Original Price $169.99 Frequently bought together + Total price: To see our price, add these items to your cart. 1964 to late 1965/early 1966. zzyzzogeton, thanks so much for your reply. By Average depth of cut with a full swing was about a quarter inch. In 1978 the company moved to Longmont, CO. I used the Forester first, while I was fresh. Powered by Invision Community. $110. The ones brought home were kept, or given to some relative. 4,617,980, 6,157,389 Sellers looking to grow their business and reach more interested buyers can use Etsys advertising platform to promote their items. Its story begins in the 1820's when James Bowie was able to defend himself by using a large knife at the Sandbar Fight in Louisiana. The sheath for this knife is also unique in my opinion. bowie vintage knife: Search Result | eBay (50% off), Sale Price 1,516,995 2,807,882, 9,359,606 Thin edges can chop without damage, you just have to keep the blade straight so the force of the swing is aligned with the edge. White Deer Damascus Steel Rattler Bowie Knife with Frost Wood Handle - GDM-02, White Deer Damascus Outback American Bowie Knife, WHITE DEER D2 Steel Extreme Duty XXL Bowie Knife Large Independent Survival Implement D-2, White Deer Extreme Duty XXL Bowie Knife, 11.5" Japanese CP Steel, Wood Handle, White Deer Exclusive Damascus Bowie Knife, Rosewood & Burl Olive Wood Handle, Master Cutlery Ultimate Extractor Bowie Survival Knife - Black, Rite Edge Bowie Knife, 15" Overall Length, Wood Handle, Sheath, Cold Steel Marauder, 9" Stonewashed Plain Blade, Kray-Ex Handle, Sheath - 39LSWBA, White Deer Magnum Outback American Bowie Knife with High Carbon Stainless Steel & Leather Handle, Ontario SP10 Spec Plus Marine Raider, 9.75" Blade, Kraton Handle, Sheath - 8684, Custom Made Damascus Steel Bowie Knife w/ Buffalo Horn Handle w/Sheath, White Deer magnum XXL Large Bowie Knife with Leather Sheath, Bear & Son American Damascus Bowie Knife with Genuine India Stag Bone Handle - 502D, Cold Steel Wild West Bowie, 10.75" 1090 Carbon Blade, Rosewood Handle - 81B, White Deer Damascus Steel Alamo Jim Bowie Knife, White Deer Damascus Steel Blood Groove Bowie Knife with Rose Wood Handle, KA-BAR BK9 Becker Combat Bowie Knife, 9.25" Blade, Ultramid Handle, White Deer Ranger Bowie Knife Damascus Steel 55-60 HRC Forged 1095 High Carbon, White Deer Damascus Steel Traditional Bowie Knife, White Deer Damascus Steel Bowie W/Giraffe Bone & Copper Bolster EXCLUSIVE, Damascus Steel Bowie Knife Full Tang Buffalo Horn Handle, White Deer Magnum Dave Dundee Bowie Knife Jungle Sawback Serrated Spine w/Wood Handle, SOG Seal Pup Knife, 4.75" ComboEdge AUS8 Blade, GRN Handle, Kydex Sheath - M37K, KA-BAR Bowie Knife, 6.9" Blade, Stacked Leather Handle, Leather Sheath - 1236, Spyderco Street Bowie, 5.05" VG10 Blade, FRN Handle, Sheath - FB04PBB, Bear & Son Cutlery White Smooth Bone Damascus Bowie - WSB02D, Executive Ridge Bowie Knife Wood Grips Trail Runner Elite Full Tang AUS-6 Steel, White Deer Damascus Steel Bowie Knife W/Giraffe Bone & Rose Wood Handle, 1095HC Damascus Steel Clip-Pont Bowie Knife Blank with DIY Make-Your-Own Handle, Jungle Bowie Knife, 12" Stainless Steel Sawback Blade, Hardwood Handle, Condor Hudson Bay Camp Knife, 8.5" Carbon Blade, Hardwood Handle, Leather Sheath - CTK240-8.5HC, Cold Steel Knives Bowie Bushman, Black SK-5 Carbon Steel, Secure-Ex Sheath, Fantasy Alien Bowie Dagger with Display Stand, 9 5/8 G10 Handle Fixed Blade with Leather Sheath, Laminated Hardwood Handle with G10 Spacers, 10 Everyday Objects You Can Use to Sharpen a Knife.
Shannon Everett Obituary, Eczema Friendly Masks, Council Bluffs Nonpareil Obituaries, Bicycle Health Interview, Dugan Funeral Home Fremont, Ne Obituaries, Articles W