I feel for them all and support them unequivocally. I remember I was tired when a shot from the point came my way. Tony McKegney erased any doubt that a black player could be a prominent goal-scorer in the NHL. Use arrows to navigate between autocomplete results. Since then, he has played for five NHL teams - Buffalo, Quebec, Minnesota, New York and St. Louis - scoring a career-high 37 goals in 1980-81. Not a lot from opposing, players, but more so from fans, that they just couldnt handle the fact that the pure white sport, was being dominated by a black kid and that was me. Complete record of every goal scored or assisted by the player. And there was a ton of it, ugly stuff. Go inside the Hockey Reference Database. He jumped to the AHL's Hershey. Sorry we could not verify that email address. Buffalo Sabres Schedule, Roster, News, and Rumors | Die By The Blade, Celebrating Black History Month: Tony McKegney, Game Thread: Sabres vs. "I could deal with it individually, but to see my son go through it was just overwhelming.". Tony played for the Buffalo Sabres for 5 years until June 8, 1983 when he was traded to the Quebec Nordiques along with Andre Savard, Jean-Francois Sauve and Buffalo's third-round choice in the 1983 NHL Entry Draft in exchange for Real Cloutier and Quebec's first-round pick in the 1983 NHL Entry Draft. It's not the 40 goals I scored. SN: When you were playing hockey as youngster, there werent many black faces for you to see when you watched NHL games on Saturday nights. Sign up for EP Premium and verify your profile to access these benefits. Following his time in Buffalo, he spent two seasons with the Quebec Nordiques, then made stops in Minnesota (North Stars), New York (Rangers), St. Louis and Detroit before finding his way back to Quebec. (renews at {{format_dollars}}{{start_price}}{{format_cents}}/month + tax). SN: What were the conversations like with your parents about it? He has three 30-goal seasons. Lightning. But the homeowner's and the coach's comments were unwelcomed reminders that people were constantly viewing me through the lens of my race -- even when I just wanted to be a home renter, or a hockey player. Call 1-800-GAMBLER. - Improve your search rank He even scored 40 goals for St. Louis in 1987-88. One was Saunders. ST. LOUIS (AP) _ If not for an early twist of fate, Tony McKegney would probably not be plying his talents in a sport that is essentially all white. When you and your teammates compete together, practice together, eat together, and grow up together, you start to see people for who they are. While in Minnesota, Tony played for the organization for 3 years until November 13, 1986 when he was traded to the New York Rangers along with Curt Giles and Minnesota's second-round pick in the 1988 NHL Entry Draft in exchange for Bob Brooke and Minnesota's fourth-round choice in the 1988 NHL Entry Draft. Hes won Stanley Cups.. He is to appear in court in Belleville, Ontario, on May 18. Most recently in the IHL with San Diego Gulls. He decided to sign as a free agent with the Nordiques because he felt they would give him the best opportunity to play right away plus, he would be reunited with Demers. Most of his limited NHL experience came with Buffalo; he also had a brief stint with the Philadelphia Flyers and their AHL affiliate. McKegney was born in Montreal, but was adopted by a white family in Sarnia, Ont. Go beyond the basics. McKegney has remained in the NHL largely because of his skating skills, his durability and the steadiness he mentioned. After leaving the NHL, he had a long, successful career in the pharmaceutical and biotech industries. As a teenager, he played for Jr. 'B' hockey in Sarnia. Another referee determined he made a kicking motion and gave him a match penalty. He was a 4x 30-goal scorer and set career highs in 1988 with 40 . McKegney scored 37 goals in 1980-81. Browse 82 tony mckegney stock photos and images available, or start a new search to explore more stock photos and images. Jarrett won the scoring title and says he couldn't have done it without Saunders at his side. Buy his book. I always said that the game is tough enough as it is just trying to survive and make it outside of having that stuff on the sidelines. Only once has he played in fewer than 60 of the regular seasons 80 games. I dont have any theory why Tony has played with so many teams. Thats the greatest compliments Ive received from the younger people. Get access to our unique free agency lists and many more premium features. Still, I'd been thinking about that particular goal mark for a while. by TM: Its wonderful. I'd been chasing that red light since I started playing hockey at 3 years old. Tony McKegney We were all set to move, until the homeowner told us there was a problem: They didn't want to rent to us once they found out we were a biracial couple. - Connect directly with players, coaches, teams, scouts and agents (optional) Judge to former NHLer Tony McKegney: 'You were a danger to yourself' In Tony's second stint in Quebec, he played in 98 games for the team until January 29, 1991 when he was traded to the Chicago Blackhawks in exchange for Jacques Cloutier. He would like for both to be able to remember their father in an NHL uniform. Bernie Saunders, one of the NHL's first black players, never thought he would find himself coaching youth hockey. Born 1958-02-15 in Montral, Quebec. Tony McKegney Height, Weight & Measurements At 63 years old, Tony McKegney height is 1.85 m and Weight 91 kg. After scoring eight goals in 52 games as a rookie in 1978-79, he scored 23 in his second NHL season 37 in 1980-81. John Kreiser, Stanley Cup Final | Avalanche vs. They started out with walker-type things out on the ice, and then they graduated to the point where they were scrimmaging, McKegney said. Akim Aliu hasnt had the same ability to bounce back from his difficult treatment in the game. We have tools and resources that can help you use sports data. There weren't many black players in the junior league at the time. Box 500 Station A Toronto, ON Canada, M5W 1E6. So, for me, there were just so many good influences. Of course, sports will never make us color blind, and colorblindness is not the goal. It is the 10th NHL season for McKegney, who will be 30 on Feb. 15, and one that he would like to make his best. Reality doesn't always add up. Tony McKegneny (c.) with his sons, Dan (l.), and Robert. Tony McKegney has not been elected into the Hockey Hall of Fame. He stayed through 1983 and was a regular almost all of the time. To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). SN: What were the conversations like between you and your brother about the abuse he faced? He believes the colour of his skin is part of the reason he didn't. McKegney, while striving to help provide black youths more opportunity, will never forget the chance given him by Lowry McKegney, 70. It takes time to grow a sport, he says, and now young black kids have something he didn't: the opportunity to play the game they love with people who look like them, and to see more than one black person playing it at the highest level. Tony McKegney - Elite Prospects But sometimes it comes back to haunt you. Saunders was a shy, quiet kid with a remarkable work ethic, Bassin recalls. (Born onFebruary 15, 1958) -- Tony McKegney was something of a pioneer in the world of hockey. (Tony) McKegney will need to be working on his paddle stroke or riding as a passenger. While in Minnesota, he joined the late John Mariucci and Cal Peterson to form an inner-city hockey league for youths. To me, there is no better example of such a player than Tony McKegney, who played 13 seasons in the NHL and was the first star of colour. Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted. Never fully comfortable: Maple Leafs Kerfoot and the trade he dodged, Canucks commit to re-tooling over re-building with Hronek addition, On a career heater, Nugent-Hopkins four-point night helps Oilers ground Jets. McKegney needed less than a season to join Buffalo during the 1978-79 campaign. Saunders didn't seem bitter or disappointed about not quite making it in the NHL, Jarrett said. McKegney was arrested June 23 and pleaded not guilty to two counts of first-degree criminal contempt on July 8, according to court records. He has a copy of a newspaper article following a game in Rochester, N.Y., that mentions a fan who heard people yelling the N-word at him all night. I probably should have, and I never did that. For more, check out this Q&A with McKegney & Sportsnet: While its we celebrate the historic achievements of Black players throughout Sabres history, its equally important to celebrate the Black players in the NHL today, including several with current or former ties to the Buffalo Sabres organization. He was following in the footsteps of his older brother Ian, who had been a star with the Sarnia Legionnaires before moving on to the pros. McKegney was born in Montreal, but was adopted by a white family in Sarnia, Ont. Some hockey portraits on this site are licensed from Images on Ice, Hockeys Photo Agency. He was a 4x 30-goal scorer and set career highs in 1988 with 40 goals and 78 points. "Everything Bernie Saunders has, he earned, in spite of [whether] there's been prejudice along the way.". Numbers, however, never tell the whole story. - Premium Design on your profile page (optional) So I found myself focused on a number, 40, throughout the last stretch of games. Welcome to NHL.com, the official site of the National Hockey League, Bienvenue LNH.com , le site officiel de la Ligue nationale de hockey, Tervetuloa NHL:n viralliselle nettisivustolle NHL.comiin, Vlkommen till NHL.com, NHL:s officiella web-sida, Vtejte na NHL.com, oficilnch strnkch National Hockey League, Vitajte na NHL.com, oficilnych strnkach National Hockey League, Willkommen auf NHL.com, der offiziellen Seite der National Hockey League, Bienvenido a NHL.com, el sitio oficial de la National Hockey League. All Rights Reserved. TONY MCKEGNEY: I was adopted when I was 18 months old and I moved [in with my adoptive family]. The McKegney brothers (l-r), Mike, Tony, Ian and friends on their backyard rink in Sarnia, Ontario in 1962. There were five centermen on that team who were great passers, and when you're playing with so many good centermen, you're going to get chances every game. All Rights Reserved. Customize your lineup with your favourite leagues and teams. He is vaguely aware of the recent push to change hockey culture. Position: LW Shoots: Left. TM: I heard some stories about the tough guys like George Laraque, Peter Worrell and Donald Brashear, and apparently it was absolutely brutal for those guys in Quebec. Even now, when I tell the story of the 1987-1988 season, I use a lot of numbers to explain why the season turned out so special. Forward Born Feb 15 1958 -- Montreal, PQ [65 yrs. He learned to fight, to defend himself, but mainly he tried to keep scoring. {{start_at_rate}} {{format_dollars}} {{start_price}} {{format_cents}} {{term}}, {{promotional_format_dollars}}{{promotional_price}}{{promotional_format_cents}} {{term}}, City mourns Buffalo firefighter Jason Arno as investigation into fatal fire launches, Buffalo firefighter makes 'ultimate sacrifice' in blaze that may have sparked backdraft, Paula's Donuts to move Clarence store that faced backlash for tax breaks to Amherst, Vandal damages 'brokenhearted' Russell Salvatore's tribute park in Lancaster, Chad Hall's departure from Buffalo Bills to Jaguars remains a bit of a mystery. As a teenager he played Jr. 'B' hockey in Sarnia. As of 2018 Tony McKegney is 59 years years old. He believes he could have had a 10-year career in the NHL if he had been given a proper shot. This Birthday in Buffalo Sports History: Tony McKegney. WHA hat tricks courtesy Scott Surgent. Relatives: Brother Ian McKegney. Tony McKegney Tells His Story of How He Came to Buffalo | Sabres TM: I just would tell them to persevere. He became a standout in hockey while playing junior, scoring 135 points in 66 games in 1976-77. He played six games and didn't score, but played well. Comments are welcome while open. It seemed very normal to me, and no one in our neighborhood or city really treated us any different, he said. Sabres Host Lightning in Saturday Matinee. Tony was drafted 32nd overall by the Buffalo Sabres in the 1978 NHL Amateur Draft. (OHL). He was also able to open doors and create a level of acceptance for young black players who could point to him and his contemporaries as successes. Before Jarome was an NHL superstar and represented Canada in three Olympics, he was just like every other Canadian kid playing ball hockey in the school yard -- except he stood out for looking different than the 'typical' hockey player. At the age of 20, Tony signed a contract with the now defunct World Hockey Associations (WHA) team in Birmingham, Alabama only to see the owner illegally renege on the deal after fans threatened to boycott the team for having added a black player to its roster. Tony sun sign is Aquarius and his birth flower is Violet & Primrose. A couple of weeks ago, Ron MacLean from Hockey Night in Canada gave the McKegney family a shout out during the Saturday night broadcast, recognizing McKegney as part of Black History month. TM: We just sort of stayed away from it. Instead, he was drafted 32nd-overall by the Buffalo Sabres in 1978 and went on to score over 320 goals. Tony McKegney Goal vs. Toronto 12/13/80 - YouTube 0:00 / 0:44 Tony McKegney Goal vs. Toronto 12/13/80 Disengage 1.53K subscribers Subscribe 947 views 8 years ago Tony McKegney ties the game. It can be difficult to talk about how those views affect you as a person. McKegney was born in Montreal, but was adopted soon thereafter, and raised by a white family in Sarnia, Ontario. Fast forward to 1987-88, and my performance in the NHL was helping to prove the stereotypes wrong. Jarome told me that he felt comfortable at the school yard because he could point to me and say, "Look, Tony McKegney's playing in the NHL.". Logos were compiled by the amazing SportsLogos.net. My first time playing against another black hockey player was probably my third year in the NHL, Grant Fuhr and Ray Neufeld. Please contact us. Saunders was part of a wave of black players who debuted after Willie O'Ree became the first black player in the National Hockey League in 1958. Hockey made me gave me all the confidence in the world.". When submitting content, please abide by our, Hockey Night in Canada: Senators vs. Blue Jackets on Sportsnet, Watch Hockey Night in Canada with Steve Dangle: Oilers vs. It was a simple chip-in that just dribbled through the goalie's pads.
We Cannot Currently Accept Payments To This Recipient Transferwise, Colleen Wolfe Measurements, Westlake Financial Payment, Articles T